|At times, I hate Microsoft
||[Jan. 12th, 2004|05:31 pm]
|||||Ash - 2 Shining Light||]|
Today, I had the apparently simple task of installing the Microsoft Content Management System on my development Win2K system, so I could do some work on it.
Alas, being a Microsoft product, life wasn't that simple. As I'm using 2000 server not 2003 server, I then had to install all the Dot Net tools. That seemed to go quite well, pulled down about a quarter of a gigabyte of crud, installed it, and it appeared OK.
Final requirement for MCMS remained, the IE Web Controls package. In a distinctly un-Microsoft manner, this is only distributed in source form. No, I'm not kidding, it really is. You have to download the source of it from ASP.net, and build it yourself.
At this point, I hit a snag. I didn't appear to have CSC.exe (the C# compiler), despite having installed both the Dot Net runtime and the SDK. I ran two "find me a file" program twice, and it really wasn't there.
Queue 3 hours of googling, uninstalling, reinstalling, searching, reading manuals, stressing, installing bits of Mono for good measure, uninstalling, reinstalling, rebooting..... you get the idea
Finally, just as I was about to scream, give up, and go home, I found it. csc.exe wasn't installed in c:\program files\Microsoft.Net\SDK\v1.1\bin as you might expect. Nor was it anywhere else that the useless find program looked. It was burried deep in a path I'd never seen in any of the documentation - c:\winnt\Microsoft.Net\Framework\v1.1.4322\ - now that's obvious.
So, I had the compiler all along. Bah. And people say Linux isn't ready for mainstream useage....
Update: Turns out I didn't need the version of IE Web Controls which you compile after all. Instead, I need the older version, which came as a windows installer file. One teeny tiny problem - the Microsoft website has no mention anywhere about this old version, even of it ever having existed. The MCMS people assume the old one is the only one.... Having figured that out, I was able to grab the file from a third party site (google for iewebcontrols.msi), and finally get MCMS installed. Phew...